Monday 1 February 2010

end of Jan

hello!
its the 1st of Feb. Not only is the 1st Feb a significant friends' birthday (happy birthday P - although I know you never read my rubbish... but happy birthday anyway!) but today is the day that I can glance up at my overly-fluorescent and proudly shining halo and then pat myself on the back and then say well done mothers-ruin, you've done yourself well. I have now officially done 31 days booze & cheese free. A couple of mental wobbles here, a couple of close-to-fingers-temptations there, but still, my body (livers & kidneys in particular) is a temple at which I can worship, for today at least.

I'm actually feeling a strange sense of loss that my self-imposed-embargo has been lifted. I've enjoyed testing myself. I've enjoyed seeing the beer on the shelves at the shops and just wafting pass, thinking smugly to myself, I have no need, I am free of all that. I've enjoyed, even, going out with friends, and watching them chucking back the bubbles or absinthe (I move in those sorts of circles, sweety), getting merry, being a bit wibbly drunken incoherent, whilst I remain quietly smugly not drunken and waking happily in the morning with a clean head and breath not like a dogs arse.
I've enjoyed getting home at night after seeing said wibbly incoherents and going into my girls' rooms and kissing them goodnight (I do this every single night of the year, unless they're at a granny's house...I have to kiss them goodnight. I wonder in how many years I'll stop creeping into their rooms to kiss them goodnight when they're asleep?) and not falling over as I lean down or breathing stale wine fumes over their flawless skin. Its a good feeling. There is something a wee bit skanky about stumbling up the stairs into Liz or Mols' room and breathing wine fumes all over them while they obliviously dream of fairies and sweets and building sandcastles.
So. I feel a bit sort of anti-climaxy that its over. Maybe I should set myself another challenge?
So. For tonights supper menu: grilled haloumi followed by macaroni cheese followed by cheesecake followed by a round of cambazola all washed down with a couple of bottles of claret.

1 comment:

Dorset Dispatches said...

Hooray for the back of January. Such a miserable month, although I have to say I loathe February more. Luckily it is a short one.

There's a tag for you over at mine if you fancy it.