Tuesday 13 July 2010

I am not the fastest

I may not be The fastest girl in the room, but I sure as heck got around that 10k in (my own) record breaking heel-smokin' speed.
And after a refreshing drink of gatoraid (pink, not orange, flavour? not sure) I was pretty much restored to Mother, Ruined - not by kilometres, but by Husband forgetting to bring my spare change of dry, fresh, clean, non-sweaty clothing. And after a small domesetic with Husband (whilst Brother tried to calm the situation, tragically with no real effect) amid 22,000 sweaty over-achievers, it was clear that it wasn't a practical joke that I had no non-sweaty clothes to change into - and that yes, I would have to spend 25mins getting home clad in salty-stinky-sweaty-sodden-shorts and feet with toes covered in pulsating callouses with no flip flops to slip into, and that it was, yes, still, likely that all the people on the Piccadilly Line would look at me like I had just wee'd all over myself, my vest, my shorts, my legs, my shoulders and my hair - and not see the great glorious medal that was swinging between my ancient-sagging-post-natally-abused-flop-mungous-boobs and realise that in fact I hadn't wee'd myself and that in fact I was, too, a victorious over achieving 10k-runner, fresh off the field glazed in real hard-earned LEGAL sweat.
So the run was superb.
And the after-run could've scored higher.
But the best thing about it all was that I had a ball, and I raised lots of money for P2B (about £8000, which means 76 children can go get counselling next year, for a whole year). And that was what I'd put myself through all this for in the first place. yeah?

Every cloud I realise has a silver lining. Like seeing Husband, liz & mol on the Embankment when I ran up it and then 6km later when I ran back down it; like standing on the underground in soggy running gear and thinking how very lucky I was that Husband Liz & Mol even wanted to come watch me doing something which really if you think about it is quite boring (mum, running?); and like, Husband making me just the best cup of coffee I could ever have had after possibly the nicest most comforting and cleansing shower I had ever had, and my feet, slipping into their £3 flip flops - ah, warm and fluffy feelings of glowing halo and family yum.

But next year, I'll put my non-sweaty clothes ON husband so that he can't forget to bring them down for post-race-urgent-change-requirements...

thank you all very much for supporting me on this run. you're all just brilliant.
x (see, you even get a kiss, and that doesn't come about very often...)

No comments: