Wednesday 30 March 2011

How Michael Jackson really died

OK - so, hands up - I admit it - I bailed out, I chickened it, I froze in the headlights of physical activity. I didn't do the half marathon. And what a goddamned relief that was too!
I had a moment of clarity one morning when I was running UP Muswell Hill - which, so, I know its not exactly a Scottish mountain - but its pretty bloody steep - and I was sweating and thinking I can do this, I can do this, only another 1/4 mile to go till I'm at the top... and then I got to the top - huge sense of satisfaction - but then, I realised if I want to get FIT for this thirteen-fucking-miles (which was what I'd labelled it in my head by then) then I'd have to carry on running for about another hour - at least! and not just once a week - like, 3 times a week.
Well. I realised another thing. Life is too short to get worried about getting fit for a half marathon. So. When I got to the top of Muswell Hill, I did in fact carry on and run for another 1hour and 5minutes. And when I got home I said to myself: Mother, you did good. You know you can do it if you really want to or if someone came into the house with an AK47 and demanded I run it - yeah, you could. But frankly there are other fish to fry right now in this life or yours - namely - essays and children. Neither to be eaten and mainly to be handled with a lot of care and tenacity.
So. I'm afraid I (with great relief to all parts of me - physical mental emotional spiritual musical political biological pedagogical) I sent an email to my Brother In Law and resigned.
Now, I just do 'nice' runs of about 1/2 hour. Around Finsbury Park, where I comment out loud to no-one how disgusting the people are who leave chicken legs and cans of high-alcohol beer strewn around the park.
People really are disgusting.

And onto something very different. Did you know how Michael Jackson REALLY died?
Well I do now, now that Liz (aged 4.5) has told me the truth for real life.
"Mummy, when I get an ear reflection (infection) and I take a lot of mendicine (medicine) you know I have to be careful because Michael Jackson (OW!) is dead because when he was ill he drank too much mendicine, you know? How much calpol can I actually have anyway for real life?"
I must get in touch with those Lawyers. I think that murder trial can be put on hold.

No comments: