Sunday 1 November 2009

important things to think about

Sometimes I worry about myself.
I have been sleeping badly recently. Big thoughts have been entering my head in the dead of night and jolting me awake, demanding their attention, solving the conundrum they have bought to mind, mulling things over, rolling them about my cerebral matter... But does it have to be in the middle of the night? Can't it be during work at the Garden Centre that I think about why it is that my house smells damp? Or couldn't it be when I'm walking down Poo Passage at 8.43am each morning of the week that I wonder whether I'll get a puncture on my next long drive down a motorway without Husband? Or maybe while I bake the girls their Sainsburys chunky chips (with skin, so they're healthy) about where I should go to buy my bi-annual sock haul. And just recently a crackingly important point for nocturnal self-analysis: why, after 16 months in the loft, do I still bang my head when I get a t-shirt out of my drawers? Am I really such an old dog that I forget? Its an alarming issue.
For some reason these challenging thoughts come to the fore at approximately 2-5am, just as my subconscious reminds me that Liz probably needs a wee (its week one of no-night-time-nappies) and I, in my light sleep, prepare my body for the removal of self from warm cosy bed and the malco-ordinated journey down to her room to take her to the loo (down another set of stairs) and back to her bed ("well done, another star on your chart tomorrow, back to sleep now...").
Its all too profound for my little head to take. I wonder sometimes if I am a genius constrained by her environment?
But frankly all this sleeplessness is wringing me out.
I wish I just wasn't quite so, you know, intense about the big issues in life?

No comments: