Monday 15 June 2009

difficult letter

My weekend wasn't all fluffy chicks and English roses in full bloom.
In fact on Saturday I went to a farewell commemoration for a friends mother who tragically ended her life 2 weeks ago. The guests to the church were asked to not wear black, so the congregation was a sea of bright cheerful colours - and visible style - which reflected the style of the beautiful lady herself. The family spoke courageously about their mother/wife, and painted a fine representation with their words. After the service (where we sang Bread of Heaven very loudly and sniffily) we ambled in the sun over to the house for a garden party which felt truly celebrational and uplifting. Champagne, wine, sandwiches, cake, children running on the lawns, people hugging and laughing and crying and laughing some more, old family friends reunited, old school friends reunited, smiles and tears - all rolled into one green Hampshire garden. It was almost slightly surreal - the sense of composure, yet high spirits combined with such a dreadful reason for all being there - but what an incredible way to remember your mother. A proper tea party for a proper mother, as she was described in the service. I will write to the family, but after such an event I feel that anything I send will be lacking the effervescence of the occasion. So it is going to be a difficult letter to write.
I am relieved the service has been and gone - I don't think any one of the friends or family who went had any idea how it would pan out. The inspiring family made it beautiful, memorable, and so easy for us to handle. How much energy it must have taken for themselves to remain level headed throughout I can't imagine. But the word which keeps going round my head is inspiring, for all its cliche-ness, at this particular time it couldn't be more appropriate.
And so to WORD I click... Dear... and so will follow some more cliches and so I will post it feeling most dis-satisfied. But such is my upbringing that letter-writing must take place.
Hey. Ho.

No comments: