Wednesday 17 June 2009

Ug.
I'm all Iraq-ed out from episode 2 of occupation. lots of close ups of James Nesbitts very wrinkled and over-eye-browed face. A predictable hostage situation with the goodlooking soldier stripping down and putting on the orange boiler suit for the TV news report...
However. Watching the drama, I wonder how much it even skates the surface of reality for the soldiers who were/are out there, or in Afghanistan right now? A constant knot balled up in my stomach as I was watching episode 1 - seeing the soldiers getting out of their armoured vehicle straight into some sort of sniper fire - how frightened would they be in reality? Or would they be high on some adrenaline rush? The reason for my choking down my pitta bread and snotty nose - well, having relatives in the army who have been out in those terror zones - it comes rushing in that its a bloody ridiculous brave stupid irresponsible responsible idiotically dangerious job to do and as a relative to a soldier, well, watching the drama unfold on TV I felt pretty damned, like, sheeesh, what? this is what they do? madness sort of terrifying emotion fall on me. Its all way beyond my control.
And brilliantly and typically I can't even see no3 tomorrow because I'm off being cultural at Sadlers Wells courtesy of uber-friend-from Blah-ham who knows the prima of the English National and FINALLY after years of direct hint dropping (like: when are you going to get me a ticket to watch your mate?) the hint dropped and the tickets have come my way! Woo Hoo. Thank you Balham! I love you! See you tomorrow. I'll probably cry because beautiful dancing has that effect on me. But I'll try not to spit out my pitta bread - it may hit his cod-piece...

No comments: